Tuesday, February 24, 2009

killing cockroaches

When Sarah and I first moved to Florida, we were in need of jobs. We both had an interview scheduled for the same morning, and we wanted to make sure we got a good nights rest. Unfortunately, our belongings had not yet been delivered by our moving company, so we only had an air mattress. We decided to stay in a nice hotel, on the beach, as an anniversary gift to ourselves, as well as a way of getting good rest. I love killing two expense birds with one stone. So we get to the hotel, and Sarah was sitting on the edge of the bed talking to me, when she screamed. A huge cockroach had landed on her arm. She waved her arm and sent it flying. Being the knight in metro attire that I was, I jumped to the rescue, landing right on this beast. I ground that baby right into the carpet, but when I lifted my foot, it took of running. Are you kidding me? What kind of cockroaches do they have in this state? I called the front desk to complain, and the lady explained to me the southern way of life: "Oh,those are not cockroaches, those are palmetto bugs. They get in everywhere, cause they can flatten themselves out and crawl under the doors." I still disagree, because that was definitely a cockroach. I don't care if it is as big as a cat, it's still a nasty cockroach.


So Tony Morgan definitely had me hooked in the intro, when he explained his dissatisfaction with this particular species of cockroach in his book, Killing Cockroaches. I have expressed before that I am not a huge fan of all this leadership talk. I think it's getting out of control, and moreover, most people who wax eloquent on leadership don't really know what they're talking about. Tony Morgan knows what he's talking about. He's the man. His books are always practical, with attainable processes, and a genuine spirit. When I read his books, I feel like he genuinely wants me to succeed. The books aren't written to show how great he is, but to help you be the greatest you God has made you to be.

Is Killing Cockroaches for me? I would say that if you read my blog, or many blogs, than it probably is. I don't know him personally, but I'm guessing Tony has a little ADD to him. If he doesn't, he certainly is sympathetic to those of us that are. The book was written more like a blog or a conversation than a book. It quickly flowed from one topic to the other, and back again. It was perfect for the way my mind works, which is quite abstractly and weird. I recommend this book more highly than any other book I have ever reviewed here. Click the title with link above to get your hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment