Tuesday, February 10, 2009

he put a napkin on my plate

Grand Rapids has many iconic figures. I've already written about Yesterdog. I haven't mentioned Lesllie Lynch King, Jr (you may know him as Gerald R. Ford), the international pyramid king Amway, 90% of all the Christian books and bookstores you are familiar with, Matthew "Chuck Norris" Joling, and the Great Daryl Nathan. It is the last one I want to focus on. A publicly owned cable station called GRTV (channel 25 back in the day) had quite possibly the greatest musical variety show of all time. The Brady's had nothing on Daryl Nathan. He was so cool that he went by his real name, and he wasn't afraid of being listed in the phone book. I know this, because one day I got bored and called him. He actually answered, so I begged him to sing a song for me over the phone. Here's what he sang:

"He put a napkin on my plate (Ooh). He put a napkin on my plate (Ooh). Told his momma, he put a napkin on my plate." He then asked if that was good enough, and I obviously agreed that it was. Here is a video that is well worth your 4 minutes of him putting on one of his epic performances.





No comments:

Post a Comment