Friday, May 29, 2009

reading people

I have always been good at reading. I remember the first time taking a standardized test in 3rd grade and scoring on a 9th grade reading level. The next year, I scored on a 12th grade reading level. I read my first John Grisham novel (The Pelican Brief) in 4th grade. Sadly, I do not read people as well as I read books. I try to, but I have definitely been really wrong about some people. Sarah, on the other hand, can tell you after meeting someone whether or not they're any good. Of course, I tell her she's wrong and can't know that about someone, that is right up until the point my back is bleeding again. She's really good at this. I could give you a list of people I thought were okay to good people, contrary to what Sarah perceived, and found out I was way off. I could, but I won't. That's mean.

I think it comes down to this: I am on a 4th grade people reading level, and Sarah is on a Master's level. I treat you like a picture book: I gather all I can by thumbing through the pages, looking at the pictures, and putting together what I can from that. Sarah will read you like a novel. She'll look you in the eyes, pay attention to how you carry yourself, listen to how you speak, see your mannerisms, discern you motives, and put it all together and sum you up - and she's usually right. I can really only think of 2 people she was off on, and I think she was only off, because she really wanted to give these individuals the benefit of the doubt. I have gotten so upset with her with some of her judgment calls, especially when I desperately want her to be wrong. She ruined it for me. I wanted to look at the pictures, and she was discussing the plot. And she was right.

How do you read people?

No comments:

Post a Comment