Monday, August 11, 2008

would you like fries with that?


Would you? The question is a classic upsale at many fast food restaurants, based on the theory that EVERYONE likes fries. I happen to love fries, but my dad actually doesn't. I don't see him ever saying yes to this question. But the approach with every customer must be the same. Either they offer you fries, a combo meal, some limited time offer, or a dessert. Whatever the focus is, everyone's getting offered that ONE thing. I think it's a rather dubious sales technique. Just shoot a buckshot...you're bound to hit something. Of course, fast food is fast food, and if they took the time to really get to know the needs and wants of each customer, it wouldn't be very fast.

More food thoughts: I went to Little Caesar's after grocery shopping tonight. We do this commonly, because we don't want to come home and wait until we've put the groceries away and cooked dinner to eat. Now, I am a little different when it comes to pizza (and many other things): I like those bubbles that randomly pop up on pizzas. So when I saw a pizza being pulled out with bubbles all over it, I got a little excited. The girl helping me told the other girl to throw it away, cause no one would want a pizza that way. I asked if I could trade pizzas, because I like pizza bubbles. I was told no, because she would have to throw it away. I asked again, explaining that I REALLY liked the way that pizza looked. "Sorry, she had to throw it away." What? I just asked to PAY for a pizza, but I was told I could NOT have what I wanted, basically because no one else would have wanted that pizza. So in the end, throwing away the product was better than selling it to someone that would have enjoyed it.

I'm sure there is a spiritual application here. Maybe something that applies to the church. It's right there, on the tip of my tongue...but it doesn't taste quite as good as that pizza with bubbles would have. Anyone got a good application here? I have thoughts, but I can't put words to them yet. I'm WAY too annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment