Friday, August 1, 2008

camp


I was put on the spot on Sunday night and asked what camp meant to me. I gave the traditional answer (and I really believe it....really): changed lives. Then I gave the real answer - the answer that makes me smile: making your own fun by providing your own activities. No, they weren't pranks, they were sanctioned activities. Sure, the camp never approved them, but we did, and a cabin full of adolescents couldn't be wrong. I'm not sure my audience agreed with me, since that consisted of a camp director, his right hand man, and my boss. Incidentally, none of them agreed with the magnificent shirt I wore today, either. I guess we can't see eye-to-eye.

Kids from our church are wrapping up a week of camp today, and I see that not much has changed. Girls are still cleaner than boys. Camp food can be great or scary, depending on the day. AND, Kids still love having fun at someone else's expense. At least this camp provided a fun loving way for them to do this. Here I was trying to enjoy my lunch, and a chorus of, "Sing us a song, Pastor Jeff, sing us a song..." broke out. Shoot. If I didn't sing, I would have had a pitcher of water dumped on my head. So, I sang the shortest song I could think of, and I was booed and called a cheater. If I had picked a longer song, I may have been booed and had water thrown on me for offending their ears. Yes, I'm that bad.

It seems like our kids had a great time. Half of them are ready to come home, and half of them want to stay another week. The only thing that concerns me is the new sisterhood in Xtreme Kidz, which was developed amongst the boys. They all chose girl names to go by, call themselves the sisterhoood, and watch each other's backs at all times. Even Chazzdaddy's boy has a girl's name now: Christina. What is this world coming to? At least they were still wearing boys clothes the last time I checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment