Wednesday, August 6, 2008

vernacular

Regional vernacular usually leads to arguments over who is right. Is it pop or is it soda? It's pop. Thanks for asking. Sometimes we agree on a word, but the way we pronounce it becomes the argument. Peh-con or Pee-can? Who cares? You say tomato, I say ketchup. It shouldn't cause a big stir...but sometimes it can.

Cornhole...think about that for a second...let it sink in. What does that mean? If you're not from Ohio, you didn't think of the party game that has captivated central Ohio. Be honest with yourselph. That's not what you thought. Sinner. I was in a meeting for Manfest 08, and my new coworkers kept talking about cornhole having to be part of the festivities. After hearing it a few times and giggling to myselph, I finally asked what it meant. I had to admit that that was NOT what that term meant where I was from.

I will remember that for a long time. In fact, I will probably think of that every time corn hole is brought up or played in front of me. Funny as it was to me, nothing can compare with this vernacularly charged situation. Make sure you click on the link and watch the video. It's well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment