Monday, August 18, 2008

sending you on a Wild Goose Chase


I do not like to read. I don't particularly like geese, especially after attending a college whose grounds were covered in goose poop. I also do not like being chased. If I am being chased, I must be running, and if I am running, I am no doubt unhappy. Running is for chumps...said the little out of shape man. What am I getting at? I'm getting at the fact that I might be the least likely person to do a book review on a book called Wild Goose Chase, by Mark Batterson. Lucky for me, it had nothing to do with geese or being chased. It was about following the Holy Spirit. I like Him.

This book addresses something that we all struggle with: following God's will in our lives...no ifs, ands, or buts about it. There are a number of things that keep us from following the Holy Spirit's leading. I could list six hindrances right off the top of my head, but that'd be cheating. You'll have to BUY THIS BOOK and find out for yourselph. Mark refers to these hindrances as cages, and he provides wisdom on getting out of such cages.

This is definitely one of the most liberating books I've ever read. It can't quite match up with the Bible, but it is definitely a good supplement. Wild Goose Chase gives you advice for coming out of chains you have put on after getting saved. We have set up so many boundaries for our own lives and have asked God to work within these boundaries. I know I have. There is a quote from the first chapter that I highlighted, wrote down, and kept going back to: "Instead of following the Spirit, we invite the Spirit to follow us." Mark appeals to your logic, intellect, and the Holy Spirit within you to cut it out. The Holy Spirit will be okay without our advice. Wouldn't you agree?

I don't know the last time I picked up a book that I wanted to read. Usually it's assigned reading from school, bosses, and accountability partners. Finally I found a book that I wanted to read, enjoyed reading, and recommend you read. You should read Mark Batterson's blog, too, by the way. Below is the official summary and author bio. Hey, if you read it here, it's like saving an entire page of reading later, since it's exactly what's on the back cover of the book.

Summary:

Most of us have no idea where we’re going most of the time. Perfect.

“Celtic Christians had a name for the Holy Spirit–An Geadh-Glas, or ‘the Wild Goose.’ The name hints at mystery. Much like a wild goose, the Spirit of God cannot be tracked or tamed. An element of danger, an air of unpredictability surround Him. And while the name may sound a little sacrilegious, I cannot think of a better description of what it’s like to follow the Spirit through life. I think the Celtic Christians were on to something….

Most of us will have no idea where we are going most of the time. And I know that is unsettling. But circumstantial uncertainty also goes by another name: Adventure.” --from the introduction.

Author Bio:

Mark Batterson is the lead pastor of Washington, DC’s National Community Church, widely recognized as one of America’s most innovative churches. NCC meets in movie theaters at metro stops throughout the city, as well as in a church-owned coffee house near Union Station. More than seventy percent of NCC’ers are single twentysomethings who live or work on Capitol Hill. Mark is the author of the best-selling In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day and a widely read blogger (www.markbatterson.com). He lives on Capitol Hill with his wife, Lora, and their three children.

No comments:

Post a Comment