Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why can't church be more like camp?


This is an interesting question that was posed to me about six months ago by one of my teenagers from my last church. I don't think I had a good answer for the question at the time. My mind was locked into the way life had always been: church was church and camp was a fun time away from church. I diligently defended the only institution I had ever known or been a part of. You just can't expect a church to have the energy and enthusiasm as camp, because they only have to arrange one service and do it over and over the whole summer. Fast forward to where I am now...I think my new church is like camp: the music is rockin', the sermon is powerful, and they mix in videos with elements of truth and humor. Every service is fun, upbeat, and engaging. From the time you walk into the auditorium, you feel like you're in a place you would want to hang out. Old question: Why can't church be like camp? New answer: I honestly don't know, Courtney. You're right. That is a brilliant question.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. If we answer kids who are looking for God with "this is the way it's always been," we're bound to stay on the same path of losing them by the time they're 18. They should be encouraged to help create worship that expresses their love for the Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I had known back then.

    ReplyDelete