Friday, June 13, 2008

Change.

definition: v. to make different in a particular way. to make radically different. to transform.

Change might be the hardest thing in the world. Why? Because change is uncomfortable. It is not something we can control. In most cases, one does not change himself. He is changed by outside factors. Change, incidentally, is a transitive verb, which means the object of change is being changed by another subject altogether. (Do you like English?) I have found this true in my life. I have been through two big changes (besides physical, of course): 1. salvation and 2. lost legalism. Although both were my decisions to make, I did not perform the changes. Once I made the decisions, and in both cases, yielded myselph to God, it was completely out of my hands.

When I accepted Christ, I felt different. Why? Because I was. I felt there was something new about me, something Greater going on inside of me. I felt free. I am re-experiencing this feeling of freedom lately. I have always hated legalism, and yet I imposed some legalistic standards on myselph. I cannot explain why I did it, other than the fact it was comfortable. It was the way I understood life should be, but I was bound by my own self righteous positions. But now I feel free. I haven't fully embraced my freedom. Maybe I'm nervous. Change is happening, though. According to a good friend, I'm not nearly the pompous jerk that I was a year ago. That's a good start.

"Therefore if the Son sets you free, you really will be free." John 8:36 (HCSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment