Monday, March 2, 2009

chop, chop

One of my professor's at Trinity thought it was cool when I was able to finish a passage, or at least in paraphrase. He was talking about John 8:56-58. He asked if we knew what Jesus told the Pharisees when they asked Jesus how He could possibly know Father Abraham. I answered, "before Abraham was, I AM." He was impressed and asked how I knew the passage. Sunday School? Previous Bible classes? Nope. The answer I gave him was...the Cross Movement. What's that? A Christian rap group, of course. He ceased to be impressed.

Listening to Cross Movement CDs is sometimes like sitting in seminary, though. When I was in high school, and I'd hear something that I didn't understand, I'd go look it up. I learned what eschatology was, because they used the word in a RAP SONG. I had to know what it meant. There were so many things I "learned" in Bible school that I already knew from listening to their music. So I either learned directly from them, or they inspired me to learn. Christian music, particularly Christian rap, isn't known for its deep approach to the Bible. And yet, the Cross Movement breaks tradition, and goes against culture, with the things they say.

I think much of it has to do with the ring leader, The Ambassador (William Branch). The guy's a genius, with a passion for God, education, and urban culture. He takes his passions, weaves them together, and writes amazing music. I have a deep respect for him. I really appreciate what he and the rest of the CMR artists do. I still need to get his new CD (with a song featured below) and replace the one before that (gave it to a wayward teenager). It moves me; it teaches me; and it inspires me...to dance like the white guy that I am. By the way, it was their music I was lip syncing to in this VIDEO.





No comments:

Post a Comment