Tuesday, November 3, 2009

you're stupid to me

I'm pretty sure that some parents are horrible people, and being horrible people, they tend to be horrible parents. Maybe you think I'm writing about you...maybe I am, but really, I'm not, so settle down. I was just so taken aback by something I heard when I was out the other day that it made me really happy that my parents are as awesome as they are. Please start the flashback dream sequence with the blurry screen and the violin music...

I was at KFC, mostly because I wanted a Detroit Lions/Calvin Johnson cup, when I heard people come in behind me. I heard a woman say, "I'm not stupid," to which a man with a very gruff voice said, "Well, as far as I'm concerned, you are." Not being nosy at all, I waited a full two seconds before turning to see who this conversation was between. I thought it was a husband and wife, because that seems like a normal conversation for spouses to be having. To my surprise, the woman who claimed not to be stupid was standing there with the man with a very gruff voice, who it turns out was her mother. Neither one seemed too effected by the conversation they had just had. After a few moments of awkward silence, they started talking about how much chicken they should order. Apparently this conversation, or one like it, has taken place before - perhaps many times. It's so commonplace that neither really had a reaction to it, at least not outwardly.

::fade back to reality and picture me looking at the camera like Zach Morris::

That really made me appreciate my parents. They built me up to the point of dillusion. I've never had a conversation like that, and I know I never will. And I know that Jakob won't, either. It also made me think of a new application for 1 Corinthians 10:23 (all things are lawful for me, but not all things are expedient). I've always thought that this means that just because I can, doesn't mean I should. I'm taking that a step further now: just because you have reproductive capabilities doesn't mean you should have children.

No comments:

Post a Comment