Monday, October 19, 2009

my little ponies are for tough guys

I think I felt old again last night. One of the guys in our new youth group said to me, "Hey, I just realized that your shirt is G.I. Joe, like the movie." I corrected him and told him that I've had it a while, and I like to consider it a G.I. Joe shirt, like the cartoon and the action figures. His response? "I didn't even know there was a cartoon. When was that?" Thanks, buddy. I'll go home and put on my cardigan and take out my teeth now.

I grew up playing with G.I. Joes. They were the best toys. You might recall that they were also on some pretty awesome undies. You could buy all kinds of vehicles for the action figures, from jeeps to helicopters to boats. They didn't have any horses, though, and everyone knows that soldiers like riding on horses when doing their killing. So my brother Dan and I decided to resolve this issue. We hijacked our sister Lisa's My Little Ponies. The only problem was that their flowing pink or purple hair made our little friends look like the mini Village People. So we gave all of her My Little Ponies haircuts. They looked pretty tough with mohawks. Neon colored mohawks were very common with some pretty rough and tough people in the late 80's and early 90's. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment