Friday, July 31, 2009

i like healthy food {sort of}

I do not like to eat healthy. I like some healthy foods, but not as much as I like them after they've been corrupted. We take healthy food and pervert it: adding sugar to already sweet strawberries, deep frying all kinds of vegetables, adding bacon to green beans, covering salads with ridiculous amounts of cheese and dressing, etc. I do not fit into Southern culture too well, but this one area I seem to agree with them. I think the prevailing culinary theory in the South is, "If we fry it, it will taste better." Oh, and if you aren't going to fry it, you should at least add bacon to it. I'd never even heard of one of my favorite healthy foods before moving to Florida: corn nuggets. What's a corn nugget? I'm pretty sure it's cream corn, dipped in batter, and deep fried. Add ranch dressing to it, and you not only have a cholesterol bomb on your plate, you'll have a smile on your face, too. But hey, my mom only said to make sure I eat my vegetables; she didn't say how.

Now, I'm not an organic food guy. It's pretty expensive, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly hype. For instance, did you know that you can buy organic milk? Where does the milk I buy come from? I thought it was organic, too, because it came from a cow. I guess those cows aren't good enough. I just can't see spending more money on things like that, but some people can and do. They think that food is contaminated when it is not grown naturally, as they say. I don't tend to agree with them, but I will give those people one thing: they made the coolest propaganda video ever. Check it out:





No comments:

Post a Comment