Tuesday, June 23, 2009

crazy proud

I like when crazy is used as an adverb. It's like bad in the late 80's, stupid in the late 90's, or wicked in the northeast. You really don't want to be described as a crazy, wicked cat lady with bad breath and a stupid haircut. When you string the words together like that, you get the point that they're not complimentary words when used in their normal setting. However, if you use them properly, they can become better than their antitheses. They called the championship Pistons the Bad Boys, but since Michael Jackson turned that word around, it was actually quite a compliment. So you're good, huh? Well, can you tell me once again who's bad? That's right, I am. See how much cooler that sounds? Yes, I know, it's mind blowing.

Now, I know Father's Day was two days ago, but I was busy and/or lazy this weekend, and I didn't get a chance to write about it. So here's the thing with my dad: he's kind of crazy, but he's the kind of crazy that makes me proud. You may think that some of the stuff he does is crazy, and I admit that from an outsider's view, it may look that way. What I know, though, is that everything he did that seemed crazy to you (like physically imposing himself to protect us or fire breathing intimidation in yo' face) was done out of extreme love for his kids. One thing that a handful of people have learned over the years is that you don't mess with John Selph's family. It does not turn out well for you. And you can say that I am crazy proud of him. You may just be proud of your dad, but I'm crazy proud of mine. I'm not necessarily crazy, but my dad brings so much pride that I almost go there. That's what makes the word crazy turn good.

In just under three months, Jakob will be born, and I hope that I'm a crazy good dad just like mine is.

No comments:

Post a Comment