Monday, June 8, 2009

that's what I was thinking

I've heard it said that a couple starts to look alike after being married for so many years. For the most part, I agree with that, but it's not always true. I do have friends that are married and look like each other, but the majority of them have kids. The kid is the link, because he/she looks like both of them. I do not see this happening with Sarah and me, though. We're too different. She's really thin, I'm really not; she's yellowy (I didn't know yellowy was a real word, but it's not underlined!), I have a pinkish hue; she has a smooth, pretty face, I have a scraggly, hairy face; she has brown, slanted eyes, I have blue, round eyes; she's really short...well, we've both got that. There are too many differences for us to start looking alike, but you can rest easy knowing that we are becoming more and more similar nonetheless.

Sarah used to be a little aggravated by the way my mind works. She didn't think my jokes were funny. Now, not only are they funny to her, but she tells the same jokes I do. It's very common for one of us to say something we deem as funny and have the other reply, "That's what I was thinking!" The first time she affirmed one of my strange jokes with that reply, I was shocked. I thought maybe she was on the sauce, but she was, in fact, sober. Over the last several years, my brand of humor has infiltrated her mind and taken over. I have told my brothers something funny, which they thought was hilarious, and I had to quickly tell them, "that's what she said!" Of course, I wasn't being off color, I was letting them know that it was Sarah who said it first. It's a Christmas miracle!

Credit should be given where credit is due. It all started with a man who refused to grow up, despite having a wife and 4 kids. His name is "my dad," and he is the originator of this twisted mentality. So, thanks, Dad! And today happens to be his birthday, so happy birthday, Dad! He's at home right now. Give him a call, especially if you don't know him. He's getting old and you should try to convince him that you went to high school with him. Mess with his head. Here's the number: 616-364-1423. His name is John Selph, and he's 62 today. Keep that in mind when pretending to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment