Monday, July 14, 2008

old habits


I am sorry to burst your bubble, but I will not be posting on bad habits that I've struggled with for a long time. Maybe the title is a little misleading. Instead, I'm posting on the habits I have that are like that of an old man. Yes, it's true, I am very mature for my age. I take naps often, and I even eat dinner before 5:00 PM sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, I do have a real struggle with biting my finger nails and not being serious at inappropriate times. There, my bad old habits that I actually don't mind having.

Here I am, in Canton, OH, acting like an elderly man in the mall. I started out mall walking, but I saw a man working on his macbook. I asked if he was getting free wireless here, and he was, so I thought I'd go get my laptop at some point. Then I was passed by an elderly lady who looked like she may have scoliosis. My pride was bruised, and I gave up my exercise plan. Some point became right away, as I went and retrieved my computer from the car. Now I'm sitting on a couch typing away. By the way, two people at the top of my list (Grandma and Grandpa) are prolific mall walkers, so I'm not knocking it...I just can't keep up.

Now, working on a laptop in the mall is not something most older people do. I was distracted, however, by the two elderly men that joined me on the couch. They were talking about back aches, surgeries, and life's adventures. Next thing you know, I get drawn into their conversation. I can't help myselph. I was asked one question, "what are you doing," and BOOM...I was sucked in for 30 minutes. Talking to a total stranger. Turns out he was a pastor of a Mennonite church at one point. Talking to him was interesting. He grew up an Amish boy in the Pennsylvania Dutch region. Turns out reading his Bible got him out of that. He couldn't get down with their beliefs, which he called "hogwash." I guess the Amish refuse to take communion, and that was one of the last straws for him.

Well, I should go. There's a bingo tourny at the other end of the mall, and there will no doubt be some hot sixty somethings. Time to go party like it's 1959.

No comments:

Post a Comment