Friday, July 18, 2008

Deer Batman...


Compelled by jealousy, I begged Sarah to go see the Dark Knight with me at the midnight showing last night. I had to see it, because I had friends who got to go at midnight. It wouldn't be fair if I didn't get the same thing, right? I quit asking after about 5 no's, but out of the blue, she decided we should go. Hooray Sarah! So off we went. The best part of the movie was when the reel melted during the first preview. It just bubbled from the middle and exploded out, and you could see it happening on the big screen. It was so cool looking...to me, anyway. Of course, I had Sarah there to talk to. All of the comic book reading, no girlfriend, lack of deodorant guys were freaking out just a little bit. It took them about 20 minutes to get it fixed, and they never even sent in a manager to calm these geeks down. I thought it was going to be mass pandemonium. But everything was fixed, the movie played, and they still didn't have girlfriends. Order had been restored. Well, except that one guy was still dressed like the Joker.

On the way to and from the theater (in Woo-town), we saw so many deer standing along the road. The count on the way to the theater was 10. I don't remember the count on the way home. I remember one deer. We came around a corner and she was just standing on our side of the road, looking across the street. Sarah had to hit the brakes, and we narrowly missed her...by ten feet. The deer never moved, though. She just stared straight on, almost oblivious to the impending doom. Finally, when we came to a stop (and it would have been too late for her if we hadn't), she turned and ran back into the tall grass. Deer are stupid. They don't look both ways. They just go in the road.

People are stupid, too. Haven't you ever had tunnel vision? You stare straight ahead, and have no idea about the chaos and danger coming from your blind side. I have focused so hard on certain things in life, ignoring everything else, that I've been hit hard. I never saw it coming. To be honest, Sarah's being miserable earlier in the year caught me like a sucker punch right to the...(insert the body part you think would make that statement the funniest). Why? Because I was too focused on what I was doing, what I needed to get done, and what I wanted to accomplish that I never took the time to stop and see what life was doing to her. I should have looked both ways before making some of the decisions that I had made. It would have saved a lot of hurt for her. Fortunately, my wife is pretty much the most awesome person ever, so she forgave me, but she shouldn't have had to. Did I mention that I love her?

No comments:

Post a Comment