Tuesday, August 25, 2009

who's your roy orbison?

My dad and I are very much alike, but we are also so different. Maybe the fact that there's almost 35 years between us has something to do with that. It occurred to me the other day that Jakob will view some of my likes the same way I view some of my dad's likes: he'll agree with some, he'll be indifferent about others, but possibly he'll see some of my likes as lame.
I grew up watching movies with Stallone, Schwarzneggar, and Chuck Norris. I watch similar movies today, but I have a higher standard for the acting at this point. So I agree with my dad's liking of action movies like this.

My favorite athletes of all time are guys like Steve Yzerman, Barry Sanders, and Bill Laimbeer. My dad likes Dave Bing, Dave Debuccher (sp? sounds like Da' Butcher). These names mean little to me, other than I know my dad really likes the guys. I'm indifferent about them. I realized that as great as my favorite athletes are, Jakob will think, "I'm sure they were good, but they wouldn't be able to compete with (insert his favorites or the most dominate players in 15 years). He probably won't care much about them.

What breaks my heart is that Jakob will one day view the music I love the way I viewed Roy Orbison growing up: lame. My dad loves the guy. He would sing along with him (as best as a tone deaf, monotone guy could) in the car, and Dan and I would make fun of the songs when talking to our friends. One day, Jakob will get together with one of his friends or cousins and make fun of the Supertones, because they are my Roy Orbison. They're outdated, out of style, and always on in my car, because I love them. Oh, Jakob, why would you make fun of the Supertones? Why do you have to break your dad's heart?

Who's your Roy Orbison? What do you think your kids will make fun of you for when they get older (or what are they making fun of you for now)?

No comments:

Post a Comment