Friday, January 16, 2009

let's give them something to believe in

I think it's safe to say that anyone that grows up in a Baptist church has been encouraged (or forced) to learn Romans 10:13 at some point or another. I know that I know it, in King James of course. It's quite renowned, as it's part of the famous Romans Road. For years I had read and quoted this verse without any regard for the two verses that follow it. After reading those verses for the first time, which happened to be in 10th grade, I first felt the call to be in ministry. Here is what they say (I'll stick with KJV, since that's how I first read them):

14How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Lately, though, I have felt that those verses are perhaps more applicable to those that go to unreached regions, like missionaries do. I deduce this mostly on the fact that I have ugly feet, so it obviously can't mean me. I wonder if my friend David has beautiful feet. Dave, please comment and let us know. Anyway, I have a deep respect for missionaries, especially David. I've always looked up to him, as his life has always been consistent with his calling, much more so than mine. Without people like David and Sarah, there would be entire groups of people that would never hear the Gospel. Sadly, there are anyway. If God called you to go into another part of the world and give the people something to believe in, would you go? It's easy to say, "Of course, I'd go," when you aren't called. So if you're really willing to give up your whole life to go, don't you think you'd also be willing to give up a small part of your income to support those that do? If you have ugly feet like me, maybe you should consider having a beautiful checkbook instead.

here's a video he made to promote missions. It's hilarious, and it makes great points. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment